Gucci-fied 1972 AMC Hornet Sportabout for sale on Hemmings.com. From the seller’s description:
This 1972 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon was ordered with the optional Gucci package. Offered only in ’72 and ’73, this Hornet is one of 2,584 produced in 1972.
– The Gucci package included:
Gucci’s traditional green and red colors on an ivory background, with green bolsters on the seats.
Handsomely striped door panels in same colors
Gucci emblems on the front fenders
Gucci emblems on door panels
Headliner with Gucci’s trademark double-G pattern
Wider rocker panel moldings
Additionally the car has:
– 6 cylinder 258cu in engine upgrade
– Automatic ‘Torque Command’ transmission
– Power steering
– Air Conditioning
– Handling package
– Wagon roof rack and air deflector
– Locking Hornet gas cap
– Yucca Tan Metallic body color
– Original Bill of Lading showing options and pricing
– Original owner’s manual
– Chilton’s repair manual, period correct
– Additional Hornet gas cap, non-locking, NOS
– 87,018 miles on odometer
The 258-cu.in. straight-six is running awesome. It has a great throaty growl and provides the wagon with some serious ‘Sportabout’. Work done by the previous owner before its trip to Texas included, new tires, brake work, new shocks all around and a Facet Posi-flow fuel pump upgrade/modification.
The previous owner drove the car from Florida to Austin in Spring of 2016 with no problems at all. The car was originally a California car for the first 80,000+ miles. Garaged for most of it’s life. It then made its way to Florida in 2015 before heading to Texas in 2016. The only rust are small spots around some of the window trim areas, back and front bumpers and at a couple of ding areas on body. Glass is in great shape.
The Hornet is currently registered as an Antique Vehicle in Texas but a simple inspection and registration change and it’s ready for daily driving. I purchased the car in 2016 with the hopes of starting a mild restoration. But other projects worked against me and it’s time to let someone else help preserve this beauty.
As mentioned the vehicle is running great but here are some thing you may want to address:
– The front passenger seat needs repair on the seam (see picture). This repair will require the seat cover to be carefully removed and have a professional repair the vinyl seam to maintain the Gucci integrity. The interior is worth every penny!
– Door and window seals/rubber need replacement. Specifically the rear hatch seal needs replacement. You’ll need to work with AMC specialist to properly source a replacement seal. If you garage the car, then you can get away with holding off on this work.
– AC currently does not work. It may be the simple control switch which operates the compressor clutch. This is what I was told when I acquired the car. The compressor shows to be R134a and is a replacement. The fan however is fully operational.
– Windshield washer reservoir is missing, pump and line are still there.
– AM radio does not work but I have not investigated it’s issue and it may be a simple fix.
No Longer Available
See more AMCs for sale on Hemmings.com.