Pontiac pitched its 1964 Catalina as the brand’s lowest-priced full-size offering, but despite the family-friendly sticker, the Catalina still came with standard features like electric wipers, dual sun visors, full carpeting, and the most needed of 1960s accessories, a cigarette lighter. The standard engine was the 389 V-8, topped by a two-barrel carburetor and rated at 267 horsepower when mated to the three-speed Roto Hydra-Matic automatic transmission, but those wanting more power in a Catalina could go all the way up to the 421 Tri-Power, which delivered 370 horsepower regardless of transmission choice. This 1964 Pontiac Catalina two-door post, for sale on Hemmings.com, may have originally been purchased by a particularly frugal family (or a fleet user), as it comes largely devoid of options. Power comes from a 389 V-8 said to be original to the car, but rebuilt in recent years with performance updates like a Pertronix electronic ignition, a hotter camshaft and a four-barrel carburetor perched atop a period correct intake. The stock parts come with the car, which would benefit from some rust remediation on the driver’s side fender. Aside from that, we’d be tempted to enjoy the Poncho exactly as-is, and we suspect it would make an entertaining and unusual weekend driver. From the seller’s description:
1964, Pontiac, Catalina 2door post,
This car is an amazing no factory option driver that could be driven daily. It is leak free and very tight with no rattles etc.
- Original 389 motor, Complete rebuild by Morley Performance. I have the original pistons, cam, bearings, springs, etc to see it was original and very light use 56k. the only reason it needed a rebuild was the leaky old seals and gaskets. I have the rebuild paperwork on engine and heads. Of course all new hoses, belts, thermostat, etc. Has petronix electronic ignition for some added spark. This engine runs great with a mild cam, correct 4bbl intake and the correct Carter AFB carb, a slight jet change over stock this motor came alive, and runs great with a low idle. Car will also come with the original 2 barrel intake, carb, air cleaner if you want it.
- Original Transmission, 3 spd hydromatic, shifts perfect, so did not need a rebuild just a good cleaning, filter change, new pan gasket and complete fluid change.
- Cooling: Runs cool all day long with original Radiator.
- Rear end: Pontiac 9.3, Positraction with 342 gears.
- Brakes: Drums on all four corners, rebuilt and stops great.
- Suspension: All new springs and shocks, it sits at a bit higher than stock.
- Exhaust: All new, turbo mufflers sound great without waking the neighbors.
- Steering: Very tight with no slop.
- Tires and wheels are new.
St. Louis, Missouri
Find more Pontiacs for sale on Hemmings.com.